nafex - [nafex] suggestions needed for bulletproof fruiting plants

  • From: "Michele Stanton" <6ducks@gmail.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] suggestions needed for bulletproof fruiting plants
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 10:11:31 -0500

Hello all,

I am preparing a list for new fruit students, a list of 'bullet proof'
fruiting or perennial edible plants. I would like to hear of your favorite
low-care fruits if you live in humid zones 5-7 east of the Rockies. But more
specifically, which species and cultivars, including rootstocks, perform
well for you without too much care on your part? Perennial vegetables are
fair game, too.

The ideal plant for my list would still give a decent yield of usable fruit
with little pest management (except fencing for deer), minimal pruning, be
happy with neutral pH soil, and perhaps no care except for irrigation during
drought, etc.

I am assuming that with BMP these same plants might produce wonderful,
marketable fruit-but the question is, what would they do when treated with
benign neglect?

Many thanks!

Michele in SW Ohio