nafex - Re: [nafex] suggestions needed for bulletproof fruiting plants

  • From: "Idell Weydemeyer" <iwgarden@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] suggestions needed for bulletproof fruiting plants
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:37:56 -0800

The plants below all do very well almost all the time.

European and Asian pears do very well with almost no problems (I hardly ever
get fire blight since I water very little and we have no rain for 6-7
months) However, one Asian Pear- Suan Li does not ripen very well here (not
quite enough heat).

Apples that are in the midrange for chill do well here-- Goldrush is my
absolute favorite as well as Gravenstein, Fameuse, Sierra Beauty,
Spitzenburg and Pink Lady. Coddling moth is here but is mostly fixable
(effort).

Berries-- Ollalieberries do well as do wild blackberries-- Raspberries-- all
do well- do really like The gold ones-- Fall Gold, Anne and Golden West. Red
ones-- I like Dinkum and most of the old standbys--and as one someone else
mentioned-- Rosanne has a great and unusual flavor. Currants-- especially
White Imperial, Wilder and Glorie de Sablon-- pink ones will ripen to almost
sweet. (Gooseberries are hopeless here--chill problems) . Alpine
strawberries do exceptionally well, especially White Delight. (but not over
the hill from me where it is hotter). I absolutely love mulberries-- both
Noir de Spain (Morus nigra) with an incredible flavor and Illinois
Everbearing do well. Serviceberries or Saskatoons-- -I have the old hybrid
ones of Timm & Success from Bear Creek and they produce heavily always. Ugni
or Chilean Guavas have so many berries that the bushes drag down and I get
excellent Charle's Gold autumn olives and one that is everbearing and sweet
(They are not a pest here in my dry climate- never had a seedling come up in
25 years).

Nanking cherry always produce (The only sweet cherries I get relatively
consistently are Royal Rainer at 500 chill hours and Lapins).

Pluots-- love Flavor Queen, Splash and Dapple Dandy. All Asian plums do well
(Nubiana & Inca are favorites) but few European plums-- --chill hour
problems. Peaches generally do well(lower to medium chill varieties) -- love
Rio Oso Gem peach.

Figs do well in warmer years but for two years they have been sporadic-
Violette de Bordeaux has a great flavor as do many of the standard ones.
Jujubes (Li) have always produced well but not this year-- not enough heat,
shorter season)

Pineapple guavas grow themselves and produce buckets of fruit --fall to the
ground when ripe. Pomegranates do well (but not Wonderful-- needs more
heat). Mandarins (Algerian Clementine and Page and Wilking do very well) and
Trovita orange and Tarroco blood orange do well. Kiwis do well (but not the
hardy ones).

Grapes- have not had any for several years other than Pearl de Csaba (ripens
very early) since the critters get them all.

I get macadamias and almonds every year (but I should say the critters get
them) but only some years for filberts (lack of chill)

Idell Weydemeyer I am in California in zone 9b.