nafex - [nafex] Nikita's Gift hybrid persimmon vs true Kaki: flavor

  • From: Steven C <filtertitle@aol.com>
  • To: "nafex@lists.ibiblio.org" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Nikita's Gift hybrid persimmon vs true Kaki: flavor
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 09:51:47 -0500

If one were in a region suitable to successfully grow Japanese persimmon
(kaki) and American persimmon (virginiana), would there still be much of an
advantage to growing a hybrid persimmon such as "Nikita's Gift" (3/4 kaki),
"Rosseyanka" (1/2 kaki), or the David Lavergne crosses such as "Honan Red
Seedling"?

Does the hybrid flavor through the combination offer something more than a
simple blending of the two flavors which could be accomplished, in that case,
by use of a kitchen blender.

I once tried a caramelized hybrid persimmon and, in that stage, it might have
exceeded the quality of either parent - in that stage; but I've never had a
caramelized Japanese persimmon yet - just an American persimmon.

Thanks,
Steve