nafex - Re: [nafex] suggestions needed for bulletproof fruiting plants

  • From: R F Hollaus <hollaus@comcast.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] suggestions needed for bulletproof fruiting plants
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 16:12:30 +0000 (UTC)

Michele,

Our North American native "aronia malanocarpa":
http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_arme6.pdf

This shrub is well adapted where I have seen it growing west of the Cascade
mountains. Although it may not be said in the article it is a very high
source
of ORAC of almost three times that of blueberry. I find the fruit of great
value
to me as an allergy suppressor. Blueberry works that way with me too. The
best way to eat the fruit it is to add sugar to the whole fruit in a jelly
form.

It is at peak production (according to article) in low moist soils. It might
be
possible to graft aronia on sorbus (mountain ashes) which are more drought
tolerant.

Rupert.