nafex - Re: [nafex] Nikita's Gift hybrid persimmon vs true Kaki: flavor

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Nikita's Gift hybrid persimmon vs true Kaki: flavor
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:05:07 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 11/26/2012 10:16:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
filtertitle@aol.com writes:

> If one were in a region suitable to successfully grow Japanese persimmon
> (kaki) and American persimmon (virginiana), would there still be much of an
> advantage to growing a hybrid persimmon such as "Nikita's Gift" (3/4
> kaki), "Rosseyanka" (1/2 kaki), or the David Lavergne crosses such as
> "Honan Red
> Seedling"?

Hello Steve,

Quite frankly no. But for a variation of persimmon tastes and fruit colors
I'd recommend including Nikita's Gift. It has a beautiful red color, redder
than most except for maybe Hunan Red. It is sweeter than most American. A
downfall, it can have many small undeveloped seeds with seed sacks which can
be an inconvenience when pulping.

Jerry