nafex - [NAFEX] grafting workshop info

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grafting workshop info
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 07:07:32 -0800 (PST)

Hi David,

Sorry to repeat some here, I finally got down thru my emails to the original
email and realized I had more to say.

In grafting workshop I did with Dr. Evans, we used bare root rootstock (maybe
6 per student, pears and apples) and we took them home to pot up or plant.
He supplied parafilm purchased at Frensch's in Ontario and box cutters from
the dollar store.  I still graft this way.  And the grafted sticks I did this
year using only parafilm to cover the stick and/or the grafting site took at
almost 100% (this year my bud grafting take was maybe 50% but usually its up
at 90% too).  For most of the stick grafts, I just wrapped the top end and
the grafting site with parafilm leaving the rest of the stick open.  I did
try completely wrapping a few short sticks, that worked too, just a lot more
work.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB