nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Isons muscadine

  • From: "Lee Sharp" <leesharp@cableone.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Isons muscadine
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:58:22 -0500

Betsy,
One of my favorite things to do with muscadines is to freeze them. After picking them wash in sink or large bowl with enough cold tap water to cover fruit by about an inch and put one hand full of cooking soda in the bowl/sink , them with your hands roll and tumble the fruit in the soda water about 30 seconds. Pour that water off and rinse the fruit in about that same amount of fresh tap cold water. Let drip dry a short while and put fruit in freezer bags and freeze. They could be placed on a dry towel to dry. When preparing to eat only take out the amount of fruit you intend to eat immediately and place them in a colander and run enough hot water over the fruit to partially thaw. They taste like muscadine flavored popsicles. I do not eat the skin or seed, just as when eating them fresh and unfrozen. I find that after frozen any that are let remain in the fridge unfrozen will not taste good the next day or two. You might want to test just a few. I enjoy sitting outside on a pretty winter day eating them prepared in the above manner.

Lee
8b, Ocean Springs,Ms
----- Original Message ----- From: "Elizabeth Hilborn" <ehilborn@mebtel.net>