nafex - Re: [NAFEX] University researchers working to perfect haskap berries for Canada (Vancouver Sun)

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] University researchers working to perfect haskap berries for Canada (Vancouver Sun)
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 21:19:09 -0700 (PDT)

I like all the Honeyberries/Haskaps and while there are noticeable
differences in shapes, sizes and ripening dates, I&#39;m not seeing much
differences flavour wise.  Maybe some of them are a bit sweeter, but pick any
of them a day or two early and they will all taste terrible.  The Haskaps are
a larger berry, but they are all so much bigger than our native
Saskatoons/Pin Cherries/Choke Cherries that there is no point in complaining
about the &#39;smaller&#39; ones.  Don&#39;t get me wrong, when they are
properly ripened, I love them all out of hand, in jams, in smoothies, in
pies, in cakes, in muffins, on ice cream, in crisps....  And living this far
North, you have got to love something that is so frost hardy.  My only
problems with growing them is that I hate the work of netting them which you
have to do or they will all be eaten by the birds (but that is worth it to
me) and the bushes are so brittle I have to make sure that my dogs
don&#39;t make their patrol paths beside them because one winter of deer
chasing by a bush took it from 4&#39; tall to 6&quot; tall.

We have Blue Belle, Berry Blue, Blue Bird, Blue Velvet, Blue Pear, Borealis,
Cinderella, Opal, Polar Night , Polar Jewel, Svetlana, Tundra, Wild Honey,
Honey Sweet, Indigo Treat (9-91), Indigo Gem (9-15), Indigo Yum (9-92) and
about 150 seedlings from the above.  This might just produce more than we can
eat next year!
 Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB