nafex - Re: [NAFEX] ID for Disease on Flemish Beauty pears

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] ID for Disease on Flemish Beauty pears
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 14:32:19 -0400

A 14:15 11.06.25 -0400, vous avez écrit :
>I have a neglect apple orchard very nearby. Does apple scab cross
>over to pears or are they separate organisms?
>~mIEKAL

No, they are not the same.
I have apple scab on my apple trees, but there is no pear scab even on my
Flemish Beauty - there are no other pears trees for at least 20 miles
around my orchard, so I guess pear scab spores never found this small patch
of pear trees I have.

And Richard wrote:
>Are Flemish Beauty and Parker really the same? I have seen lots of places
>list both

No, they are not the same I think. I vaguely remember having seen that the
2 names were synonyms, but I think this was an error. All the credible
references list both as different varieties.
Parker is a U.Minnesota introduction, 1934
Flemish Beauty is an old European pear introduced by Van Mons in 1810; the
original name for it is Fondante des bois.