nafex - [NAFEX] ID for Disease on Flemish Beauty pears

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] ID for Disease on Flemish Beauty pears
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:31:08 -0500

Pear scab cannot be controlled nearly as easily as apple scab, which I can
usually keep in check with as few as 2 myclobutanil applications. Myclo is
not affective against PS and neither is Captan. For pears I use Flint
although mancozeb is cheaper and also affective but has some of label
restrictions. It can take me as many as 5 aps to control it. Home growers
should stay away from susceptible varieties and I think many do by growing
Bartlett. The Harrow series including Harrow Sweet (my favorite, as of
today) tend to be resistant as well and are bred for cold winters.