nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Frost-resisting apricots grown in Siberia?

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Frost-resisting apricots grown in Siberia?
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 21:59:53 -0400

I don't know anything about the availability of the Baikalov cultivars of apricot or anything else in North America. Given the likelihood that they would be mostly of interest to home growers, and given the contempt that many professionals (and perhaps more significantly their administrators and political masters) seem to entertain for home growers and their suppliers, I am inclined to doubt it.

I surmise that the institutions that might be interested are the U. of Minnesota, the U. of Saskatchewan, and possibily Agriculture Canada St. Jean/Frelighsburg in Quebec.

Because of the different climate and in particular possibly more regular spring weather in Siberia (?), one would want to test these cultivars thoroughly in North America.

From a Rumanian publication, it is said that the different cultivars of apricots ripen from early August to late September and that the names of six of them are:
Sibereak Baikalova
Gornii Abakan
Saianskii
Sibirsk Vostocino
Severnoe Sieanie
Gordosti Hakasii

The republic's name is usually spelled in English, Khakassia or sometimes Khakasiya. It is in south central Siberia (see Wikipedia) and the capital is Abakan. The population of the republic is a little over half a million, mostly ethnic Russians.

The "thornless gooseberries, high-yielding honeyberries, and longkeeping apples" would also be of interest.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada