nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Frost-resisting apricots grown in Siberia?

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Frost-resisting apricots grown in Siberia?
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 15:47:21 -0400

Hello Doug,

There are several nurseries selling Moorpark as zone 4, but I know that that's a little optimistic and it's probably a bit of a risk. I can't find a a Canadian supplier for Precious other than Ken's Green Barn which are sold out very early in the season. And no Westcots available around here either.

Maybe I'll take your advice and go for the Morden 604. The site I have chosen is a sandy slope, with protection from winter winds, but which does receive quite a bit of afternoon sun although maybe not until mid spring.

By the way I spoke to Ken a couple of years ago and he advised me against planting an apricot! So maybe I should be listening to him!

Thanks for the advice!

And Ginda, thanks for the encouragement!

Caren.