nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sawdust Mulching, now tree protection

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sawdust Mulching, now tree protection
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 09:12:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi mIEKAL,

I'm wondering if you would share what you are using for 'tubing' around your
trees???

I've been using hardware cloth (1/4" x 1/4") tubes about 18" height x 6"
diameter and it is very effective and a great place to put tree labels. But
hardware cloth is very expensive and I'm sure it will rust off to
ineffectiveness at some point. I've found one tree that had a gap where the
cloth overlapped (sometimes the cloth kinks a bit when I twist it into the
ground and I obviously didn't catch that one) and a mouse moved in, made a
house for the winter and ate my Giant Nanking Cherry from T&T Seeds,
Manitoba. This year with the feet and feet of snow we had, they got over the
tops for the first time ever and ate off a plum and an apple. I should have
been stomping down the snow, but by the time I realized I needed too, the
snow was hip deep and I couldn't!

I know that the commercial guys use some kind of plastic tubing, but I'm not
sure what.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB