nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sawdust Mulching

  • From: Evan <kodama@riseup.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sawdust Mulching
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 08:09:16 -0400

Yes, I have thought as I lay out the cardboard that mice would probably just
love it under there. My hope for the summer is that mice have plenty else to
eat that they won't nibble at the bark like they might in winter. Right now
I'm trying to mulch for water conservation and to suppress/kill the plants
growing nearest the bushes. With your comment in mind, I wonder if going
around in the fall and pulling out the cardboard and maybe even raking back
the sawdust might help allay mice. I'm also using hardwood bark mulch on some
trees, and I don't imagine that creates as good mouse habitat as sawdust?

One way or another, I need to attract some snakes and owls and other
mice-eaters.

cheers,
Evan
zone 6