nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Spring Report on Pushing Zone Boundaries

  • From: "Naomi Counides" <naomi@oznayim.us>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Spring Report on Pushing Zone Boundaries
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 07:52:30 -0600

A little bit on tilt to the topic. I have the "mine did not freeze"
experience.

This year it was the apricots. All around me there was great wailing and
gnashing of teeth as the thermometer dropped several nights to below (and
well below) 27 which is consider the magic "your fruit is in trouble" number
in late April. We have a max min thermometer so I know it made it to 22 one
night. There was visible frost and our stock tanks were iced in the
mornings.

My husband, in the dental chair, was informed by the dentist, if it goes
below tonight, my apricots are gone. It went below that night and several
nights thereafter during the next two weeks.

When my husband reported this too me.. I thought.. good! I have enough to
do with out apricots this year.

I am now busy thinning the apricots. In previous years I have not lost my
peaches and my plums were okay when local commercial growers lost fruit.

Our land is on a rise so the cold air drains off. I used to hang the old
fashioned Christmas lights in late March.. but I haven't in several years.
We have black landscape material around the trees. And a lot of apricots.

So this year I have planted some Brown Turkey figs. The leaves were killed
but they are putting out new.
Naomi
Zone 6 Idaho
"I am a solipsistic conspiracy theorist. I am sure I am up to something,
and I will not stop until I find out what."

http://xkcd.com/842/ Jan 3, 2011