nafex - Re: [NAFEX] eating rabbits and tularemia

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] eating rabbits and tularemia
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 09:26:14 -0500

Domestic rabbits pose almost zero risk of harboring or transmitting
tularemia to humans who may handle or process them.

You're at much greater risk of being infected by receiving a tick bite
courtesy of your roaming pet cat or dog bringing them into the house than
you are from dressing and processing domestic rabbit carcasses.
For instance, in a 1998 tularemia outbreak in South Dakota, 79% of infected
persons reported tick bites; none reported any contact with a rabbit.

While I've harvested as many of the destructive little cottontails as I
can(they wreaked havoc on my blueberries and hickory seedling beds last
winter), I'll admit that I probably should wear gloves when dressing them
out, but I still do them bare-handed.

Being a veterinary pathologist, I always give at least a cursory examination
to any and all entrails I remove. I suppose that if I saw the
characteristic liver lesions in a bunny I'd just dressed, I'd probably
contact my physician - or at least let my wife know that if I became
seriously ill, to make sure that Dr. House and crew knew about that
exposure, so that they could skip the first half-dozen or so
misdiagnoses.8>)

Louis L. "Lucky" Pittman, Jr., DVM
Veterinary Pathologist/Section Head
Murray State University