nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rabbit damage to apple trees

  • From: oowonbs@netscape.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rabbit damage to apple trees
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 15:32:51 -0400

I'm no expert, but large sections of missing cambium don't seem to repair well, if at all. That's the nutrician highway for a tree limb. And you have a pathway for insects and disease, that bark can repell, as well as a way for the limb to dry out. I believe you could patch it with other cambium, but where to get large amounts and the work would make it worthwhile very seldomly.
I sometimes use plastic wrap cut into strips as a stretchy protective wrap for wounds or grafting.

Otherwise, apple branches are sometimes beaten or sliced halfway around a limb as a last dirtch effort to get a tree to bear.
~"I'm in danger, I'd better leave seed for survival of the species."

BillSF9c

> Over the winter, the high snow allowed rabbits to crew on limbs of
my> apple trees. They have removed quite a lot of bark from the top side of many> major branches, and white wood shows.
- SNIP - Is the bark along the bottom> of each branch enough to keep it alive? Or will it be weak and prone to rot> even if it doesn't die right away?> >> > thanks,> > Ginda> > eastern MA, zone 6> >