nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Carmine Jewel

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Carmine Jewel
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 09:05:46 -0500

I have a Carmine Jewel that I bought at a nursery about 4 years ago.It was about 16 inches tall at the time. It's planted in my yard. If my memory serves me well it grew well through the first season and fruited (albeit in small quantities) the next year at about 2ft tall.

Every year since it has grown well and borne fruit and now has reached about 5 foot, but doesn't seem to want to get much bigger. Last year was apparently my best harvest but unfortunately it happened while I was away and my husband and kids consumed them all right off the tree. This is in itself is testament that the fruit must be good! In fact I hope one day I might get to process some just to see how they turn out, but it's hard to resist eating them right there and then.

Basically I am very pleased with it. I have 2 other U of S cherries (Juliet and Crimson Passion I believe) that I planted in the last couple of years but they have spent their energy in growth (one is about 6ft already, hopefully it will slow down) and I'm yet to taste the fruit. Can't wait though! I would say for my purposes Carmine Jewel has the best growth habit early on (shorter, stockier).

By the way I just want to say I am a pretty neglectful gardener, basically I planted these bushes and let them get on with it. I did do some pruning of the Carmine Jewel to give it a better shape, and tried netting it once but other than that they are left to themselves.

Good Luck with your Carmine Jewel, I hope you will be as pleased with it as I am with mine.

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome QC