nafex - Re: [NAFEX] suitable rootstock for zone 4 peaches?

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] suitable rootstock for zone 4 peaches?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 03:16:47 -0400

Bailey seedlings are preferred to Lovell seedlings for the Niagara Peninsula below the escarpment in Agriculture Canada zone 7a, and coldhardiness is a major reason.

In the peachgrowing area in Kent/Essex a little east of Detroit/Windsor, which is a little colder, Siberian C has seen a good deal of use, and I believe that Chui Lum Tao is considered slightly better.

A lot depends on your snow cover. Southern Ontario in the peachgrowing areas is prone to open winters.

For USDA Zone 4, my guess is that among peach rootstocks Siberian C would be a pretty good choice. St. Julien A might be better for coldhardiness (though I wuldn't say good) and is adapted to heavier soils.

I think we have a member working with Prunus X cistena (purpleleaf sandcherry, a cross between P. besseyi and P. cerasifera).

Has anyone experimented with Prairie-hardy Prunus tenella ("Russian almond") as a peach stock for cold areas, at least for well-drained soils (I don't know what P. tenella's tolerance is)?

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario