nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pears and fireblight

  • From: Amelia Hayner <abhayner@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pears and fireblight
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 21:58:50 -0500

This is a conspiracy to make me come out of my corner and go off topic
again!!
Goat may be the most commonly eaten meat in the world, but those people must
be HUNGRY cause chicken is way better.
I think whatever you grew up eating, you just love to eat when you are an
adult.
Once a goat has marked a tree for "death" it will go to whatever means
necessary to kill it- I have built cages that would have kept out
velociraptors, things from science fiction movies... and if a goat can get
the tip of his tongue on the tree, there must be a tiny suction cup there-
it's goners for sure.
And this time of the year IS THE WORST, when the sap begins to rise-
the only thing to do is to put the goat somewhere else
(then it will scream relentlessly, but you do what you have to do)
IF you really want to make the effort, and the tree is large enough...
perhaps you can get chicken wire, with the close spacing.
cut off waaay too much to wrap round the tree, and sort of accordian fold it
to the tree, and staple it in place with small fence staples.
this might work for deer as well, as often deer do much damage to trees
rubbing the velvet off their antlers.
the pleats are there to give tree trunk room to expland.
it will also give the goat a convenient place to rest his hoof, so that he
can reach higher-- to trim up limbs accordingly.
I had some limited success with this method
Amy
NC
yes, we still have goats. The milk is so good you have to put up with it.