nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pear pie, preserves and sweet pickles

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pear pie, preserves and sweet pickles
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 21:06:40 -0600

I love the pear pies and cobblers I've made with the old Pineapple pear. The traditional use for Kieffers around here is to make "pear honey". They chop or grate the pears, add an equal volume of sugar and wait overnight for the sugar to draw out the liquid. Then they boil and seal like jam. BORING in my opinion. But I did make up a recipe to use up the little sour Chaenomeles quinces, with equal amount of grated pear and flavored like apple butter. Donna