nafex - [NAFEX] U Saskatchewan dwarf sour cherries

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] U Saskatchewan dwarf sour cherries
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 16:29:55 -0500

I bought two Carmine Jewel plants last year, but something ate them.  (Probably a deer, but they were so small it could have been a rabbit.)  I am thinking of replacing them.  But I notice that the documents refer to significant differences in harvest dates among the plants.  I'm often away for a couple of weeks mid-summer, so plants that ripen when I am home are MUCH more valuable than plants that ripen when the only harvesters are the critters.

Does anyone know when these ripen?  I'd most like to know when they ripen in eastern MA, but I'll take dates from anywhere.  The U Saskatchewan document says:

Harvest: Trees begin bearing three years after planting with respectable crops after five years and peak capacity reached after seven. In Saskatoon ‘SK Carmine Jewel’ is harvested in late July and early August. The fruit holds well for at least three weeks after ripening. Future cultivars slated for release should extend the harvest season to early September.

Do you think it would be earlier here?  Anyone growing these have an idea who they do in mild eastern MA zone 6?

Thanks,
Ginda