nafex - Re: [NAFEX] gooseberries

  • From: Deb S <debs913@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] gooseberries
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 15:55:59 -0500

Hi Michele

I have the following:

Invicta--a sprawling bush, incredibly throny, with large, hairy green berries.  Medium producer, berries are good to eat out of hand and make great jelly.

Poorman's--a red berry when ripe, sets a ton of fruit.  Mine is kind of short, very thorny.  Fruit is better dead ripe, but makes good jelly.

Hinnomaki Red -- thorny, red berry, pretty good, kind of wimpy grower.  Both this and poorman's lose all their leaves in the heat of summer, but this is after berries are done and the plants come back every year.

I hope to add several other cultivars this spring.  I'm learning how to propagate, so if you ever want to swap, let me know.

deb
SE Ohio