nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wrapping fig

  • From: "S & E Hills" <ehills7408@wowway.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wrapping fig
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 19:04:42 -0500

I’ve tried lots of things and with the exception of clear plastic and pipe insulation most of them worked fairly well.   Usually I collect leaf-waste bags (filled of course) from my neighbors and just pack them around the plant.  After I burlap anything sticking above the bags and then put a cheap tarp over the top.

I’ve done the straw bales as well and they’re heavy, bulky and my dog likes shredding them too much.

The bubble insulation Scott Smith mentioned works well too (I build a frame and surrounded it with the bubble insulation, but its too hard to install around my fig

Scott Hills

Zone 6b Michigan