nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zone Range Limit (6/7): Date-Palm, Pomegranate, Strawberry-Tree, Fuzzy Kiwi, Kaki, OTHERS?

  • From: "V. Michael Bove, Jr." <vmb@teakettlefarm.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zone Range Limit (6/7): Date-Palm, Pomegranate, Strawberry-Tree, Fuzzy Kiwi, Kaki, OTHERS?
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 09:34:36 -0500

We're in 6a and have tried a couple of things not on your list with varying success.

- Fuchsia magellanica (not just an ornamental, it has edible fruit though we've never gotten any) does fine here with no protection at all. Some years it dies nearly to the ground but shoots up quickly.

- Tri Lite peachplum is supposedly z7 but it has fruited fine in our orchard for a number of years with no injury

- An unnamed citrandarin got through a couple of winters with only burlap to keep off the wind (some branch dieback), before it succumbed to a run of below-zero nights. I've never had a citrange or ichang lemon make it through even one winter. In general with the citrus hybrids I think what you need to look for is those that lose their leaves and go totally dormant. There's a citrumelo variety I have potted that reliably drops its leaves in November before I put it in the cool greenhouse for the winter, but I've never gotten around to rooting a cutting and trying it in the ground.

- Small-leaf tea (not off-topic -- an edible oil comes from the seeds -- supposedly 6b or 7) makes it through the winter with no protection and a tolerable amount of branch dieback, but it never gets big enough to be interesting. The main problem is that it seems not to like our summers, which tend to have one month with 10+" of rain and two months with 1-2". We have a lot of other camellias that do much better.

Best,
Michael Bove
Teakettle Farm, Z6 (MA/RI border)