nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zone Range Limit (6/7): Date-Palm, Pomegranate, Strawberry-Tree, Fuzzy Kiwi, Kaki, OTHERS?

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zone Range Limit (6/7): Date-Palm, Pomegranate, Strawberry-Tree, Fuzzy Kiwi, Kaki, OTHERS?
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 13:03:44 -0500

I have two Russian pomegranates,  2 each of Agat and Kazake, scions that I got from Richard Ashton about 5 years ago. After rooting and growing in pots for 2 years, I put one of each in the ground in protected areas. One plant was in a mostly N exposure, and the other in a W - both beside my house. Both plants had snow heaped upon them for protection. The N exposure died the 1st winter. The W exposure survived the winters but died to the ground for the last two years. Two weeks ago, I lifted this plant and put it in a pot - hopefully to provide a future harvest.

The plants in pots were treated like figs. They had profuse blossoms the 4th year - but no fruit. This past year, I got 6 fruits from one of them - no fruit on the other. The fruiting plant also had fewer blossoms;
this plant had been moved to my small unheated greenhouse in Sept to try and extend the growing season and to protect it from tree rats. The fruits were picked in mid November just after all the leaves had yellowed and dropped. To my surprise, in spite of quite a variation in size, they were pink inside and quite good - almost identical to comercial ones that I bought - even though their skin colour was mostly yellow. I thought that one fruit was even juicier and had smaller seeds than the purchased fruit.

I must apologize for the fact that I did not differentiate on the two species. I thought my memory would serve me to that extent, but alas, I am aging! (Looking back at some pics, I believe it was Kazake that fruited - it was slighttly larger than Agat). Unfortunately, I neglected to take pics of my 1st fruit, but the plant progression from scion onwards may be viewed at: http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc149/JBarbowski/Pomegranates/

I looked up my Ag Zone on the US map : ( http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-ne1.html ), and it appears my zone equates to US Zone 5a. I am in Thornhill, just north of Toronto and slightly beyond the influence of L Ontario.

jmb