nafex - Re: [NAFEX] wrapping fig

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] wrapping fig
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 12:44:36 -0500

Michele, I use aluminum bubble foil insulation tents.  It keeps the plants warm from the ground heat and prevents overheating on hotter days due to the reflective aluminum.  I use regular staples to build a tent from a roll of the insulation, and use ground staples to hold the tent firmly to the ground.  make sure to have a big area covered on the ground so the ground heat can come up - thats why I say tent, you are not wrapping the plant you are building a mini greenhouse for it.  I used this method with good success for five years or so.  I also protected some first-year pomegranates this way so they can get a bit bigger before taking on winter full force.

Scott