nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Chinese Fragrant Pear

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Chinese Fragrant Pear
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:39:00 -0500

Michele, these pears are shipped from China.  Richard, I don't think any scionwood was imported into the US until very recently, they are from a remote province of China.  Their shape is more like an egg than a ball when compared to the normal asian pears.

They do have some fragrance to them when fully ripened, its something like a european pear.  This time of year seems early for them, around here I can usually get them in March and then they are tasting good.  If you have any left, try waiting longer before eating them and see if they get any better.

Scott