nafex - [NAFEX] Chinese Fragrant Pear

  • From: "Michele Stanton" <6ducks@gmail.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Chinese Fragrant Pear
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 12:27:52 -0500

Hi all,

I recently bought an imported Chinese Fragrant Pear.

Does anyone grow this?

I was unfamiliar with it, but a search came up with this in a 2006 NY Times article:

“In a study published in 2001, however, scientists analyzed the variety’s molecular markers and determined that it is a complex hybrid of the two main European and Asian species, along with Pyrus armeniacifolia, a little-known Xinjiang species with small fruits and leaves similar to apricot foliage.”

Melissa’s produce lists it; it is grown in the Xinjiang area of northwest China, which has a dry continental (cold winter) climate.

Just curious!

Michele in Ohio zone 6a