nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Scion Storage

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scion Storage
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:57:38 +0000

Thanks for the reminder to report that I've had as good success with apple &
pear scions which have broken their dormancy in storage, as with those which
haven't. Or, maybe ALL broke dormancy, but I've grafted scions with
noticeably swollen buds and they do as well as those with no growth visible.

Disinfecting question: Does surface sterilization kill viruses & bacteria
INSIDE the tissues?

________________________________
> From: Jwlehman
> Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 08:08:23 -0400
> To: nafex
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scion Storage

... The best place to store scion wood is on the tree. My experience is cut
scion wood as late as possible in the spring. Here is Indiana that is
no sooner than March however that can be too late for Prunus. My grafting
success with Prunus is very low if the buds have started to swell...

I do not disinfect although maybe I should. But if the wood contains a
virus or bacterium disinfecting will cure that. Good idea to disenfect
the tools.