nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Scion Storage

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scion Storage
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 08:28:58 -0500

I'm not an expert grafter, but I've had some problems w/ scion storage and
learned a few things about it. My only refrigeration is a frost/free
refridgerator which is also used for food. Our refridgerator doesn't seem
to keep a stable enough temperature to keep the scions from breaking bud
before it's time to take them out and graft them.

Placing the scions in a good quality sealed bag, placing the bag in a jug of
water, then placing the jug in the fridge seems to keep the temperature of
the scions stable enough to maintain dormancy.

No matter how good the bags, water sometimes slowly seeps in, so I check
them about once a month and remove any water inside the bags.

I used to use a disinfectant, but quit and haven't noticed any mold
problems. I don't seal the ends of the scions either.

Mark
KS