nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Scion Storage(p.s.)

  • From: "Idell Weydemeyer" <iwgarden@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scion Storage(p.s.)
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 11:43:26 -0700

I agree that paper towels can mold and are not the best--they are ok for a
very short time but in each (well sealed bag zip lock type bag), I usually
sprinkle a few drops of water for each kind of labeled scionwood. I keep
mine in the frig but usually for only 1-6 weeks so I don't have a problem
with storage.

It is harder to keep the cuttings of pomegranate, figs, grapes, kiwi,
mulberry in the frig very long. I try to put them in pots (with dirt mixed
with potting soil) as soon as possible after getting them at our January
scion exchanges.

Others use different techniques to start various cuttings. Some put grapes
in cold storage around 32 degrees and others bury them in trenches then
plant in the spring after the frost is mostly gone. I can keep mine in pots
outside since the winters are generally somewhat rainy (hopefully) and
generally above 25 degrees. Some callus cuttings and get small roots before
they start them in pots or the ground but I have had better luck by just
putting them in pots outside--or in a compost pile.

Idell