nafex - Re: [NAFEX] RHUBARB from seed (AND PAWPAW NOTE)

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] RHUBARB from seed (AND PAWPAW NOTE)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 09:37:33 -0500

Steve, you can bet I'll come by for some rhubarb clones. My wine
rhubarb strategy is actually to establish separate plantings of the
various varieties I can collect which will allow me to experiment with
different mixes of juices.

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 9:05 AM, loneroc <loneroc@countryspeed.com> wrote:
  If you want a couple
> of starts swing by my place next spring.

Ventured to the McKay Center this weekend & yr directions were
flawless, Iocated the pawpaws immediately. No fruit to be seen
anywhere, no sign of fruit on the ground. I interviewed 2 guides,
neither of whom remembers ever seeing flowers or fruit. It does look
to me like originally one tree was planted & everything else is a
sucker. I'm a little surprised that no one has seen flowers since the
main tree has to be more than 20 years old. The guides seemed very
impatient with me asking questions about the pawpaws tho, they kept
dismissing them saying they're not native, they're just a novelty
plant.

I always forget what a wonder the place is tho, 100s of different
trees planted, each one IDed with an easy to read brass placard, & 3
gorgeous looking American Chestnuts (not hybrid) that must be 50 years
old or so with no signs of blight that I could see.

~mIEKAL