nafex - Re: [NAFEX] High bush cranberry

  • From: Maria Schumann <mariaschu@vtlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] High bush cranberry
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 09:40:53 -0400

Last fall when I was in Russia, everyone seemed to have a cultivated high bush cranberry or two in their yard, and the berries were being sold at the farmers markets.  People said they are good for your heart, maybe other medicinal uses also.   A russian neighbor of mine stores them all winter long in her cellar and adds them, fresh, to a cup of boiling water with honey.  I've also made jam and sauce which tastes terrible, think I'll try the tea this winter.