nafex - [NAFEX] Scion Storage

  • From: alexis@conev.org
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Scion Storage
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 08:37:27 -0400

Given that winter is coming along soon, I would be curious to hear what folks on this list know about scion storage. I have been learning how to graft in recent years, and can now graft any common fruit tree reliably. I have heard considerable variation in scion storage techniques. So, if experienced grafters could answer the following questions, that would be most appreciated. I graft a wide diversity of trees.
1) Do you seal the cut end of your scions? If so, with what?
2) Do you put added moisture in the bag with stored scions (such as a damp paper towel, etc) or not?
3) Do you treat your scions with disinfectant prior to storage? If so, what do you use?
4) Do you use the same techniques on a diversity of trees?
Thanks much!
Alexis