nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Autumn Olive Harvest and 'Garnet'; wine

  • From: Mark Lee <mark.lee.phd@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Autumn Olive Harvest and 'Garnet'; wine
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 11:02:36 -0700

Lucky,
The bamboo did not survive. :-(
One thing that is thriving is the seedling juneberry you sent (Tims and Success?). The fruit is big and flavorful.
-Mark

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Dr. Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu> wrote:

Mark,

The pathologist friend who gifted me with the autumn olive wine had access to several hundred feet of large mature AO bushes that had been planted as screens/windbreaks in his neighborhood.

I’ve not picked many in my day, but stopped at the end of one of those rows a year or so back, and if memory serves correctly, it seemed like it was a fairly simple process of just stripping handfuls of the fruit off into a bucket. I’d bet I could get gallons of fruit in a very short time – might have some leaves included, and some bugs might come along for the ride, but I’ll bet I could get volume.

The berries ‘keep’ for a long time in a Ziploc bag in the fridge.

Hey, while I’m thinking of it – did that native bamboo I sent several years back survive for you?

Lucky