nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Autumn Olive Harvest and 'Garnet'; wine

  • From: Mark Lee <mark.lee.phd@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Autumn Olive Harvest and 'Garnet'; wine
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 10:25:17 -0700

I have one autumn olive. A few years ago, I spent an hour and picked enough of these to make one bottle of wine. I'm wondering how people are picking buckets of these. Very slow picking for me.

How did the wine turn out? It was some of the best wine of any kind I have made. I placed the fruit in a mesh bag. I think I had a pint of fruit. I crushed them with my hands. I then added some water. I don't recall how much. I then added fructose until the juice hit 20 brix. After racking, everything settled-out and left behind a warm colored white wine. It looked and tasted just like chardonnay with notes of tropical fruit. My wife did a blind taste test of the autumn olive wine and a real chardonnay, and she picked the autumn olive as the best. She has never liked any other wine I have made.

I look forward to another year when autumn olives are abundant so I can make more of this tasty wine.

-Mark Lee, Seattle