nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Autumn Olive Harvest and 'Garnet'

  • From: "Idell Weydemeyer" <iwgarden@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Autumn Olive Harvest and 'Garnet'
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 07:26:53 -0700

For Autumn Olives, I have Charlie's Gold, Sweet N Tart, Jewel, an evergreen one and a generic one. All are slightly smaller than usual but are coming in only slightly later. The evergreen one which has the best tasting fruit is a bit later than the others. The generic one is quite tart. The flavor is excellent in all the others except Jewel--very blah and slightly dryish.  I think it needs more sun and water. We had a very cool and late summer here.

Some of my other fruit is late too but even worse is that the birds have discovered some of my fruit they left alone in the past. I think it is goldfinches that have striped my Chilean Guava and something is now starting on the red but not the gold autumn olives. Other birds --probably robins, jays and mockingbirds are not letting even one of my figs become ripe. The raspberries have fewer berries than usual this time of year due to a one week heat wave which cooked many of them.

Idell in zone 9a in SF Bay Area in California