nafex - [NAFEX] High bush cranberry

  • From: cevanko@civconinc.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] High bush cranberry
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 17:09:08 -0400

I found some wild high bush cranberries, Viburnum trilobum, growing on my property. The berries are slightly smaller than a cherry and bright red. I collected a few pounds, ran them briefly through the food processor, strained the juice and simmered it with some sugar. I thought the taste was sweet enough but when I left the house to move some hoses I noticed it smelled like a high school locker room when I returned. Like socks that were only clean at the beginning of the school year. I only made enough for a pint jar and brought it to work where everyone thought the same as I. If they tried it at all they said it tasted OK but the smell was like old socks.

Did I harvest the berries at the wrong time? Or is this jam for a starving man? Does anyone have a recipe for making this palatable?

Craig Evankoe
30 miles sw of Chicago