nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Revealed: how seed market is controlled by Monsanto, Syngenta, Bayer, Dow & DuPont

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Revealed: how seed market is controlled by Monsanto, Syngenta, Bayer, Dow & DuPont
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:18:49 -0500

mIEKAL,
I've followed the Percy Schmeiser deal for years, and have seen arguments on
both sides of the issue, and we'll probably never know the whole truth -
from either side - but for all intents and purposes, he lost the case and
subsequent appeals, and there has been more than a little evidence to
suggest that while he'll continue to maintain that he didn't 'know' he had
RR canola, that he actually did 'pirate' those seeds and the technology that
Monsanto had patented.
I know he's viewed as the Rosa Parks of the anti-GMO crowd, but there's been
a lot of emotion and not much substance, from those groups, in supporting
his claims.

You and I will probably never come to agreement on this topic, but there's
plenty on which we do concur.

Mark,
I'm certain you understood my example of BT corn as just a case in point and
not my whole argument, but for any who may not have...
GMOs are not inherently bad - and all may not be good - but there is a very
vocal oppositional force which largely fosters emotional arguments against
them, disregarding the potential benefits gained either directly(less
mycotoxin in BT corn) or indirectly(less pesticide use, less soil erosion,
less use of more dangerous persistent herbicides, etc.).
The genetically-modified 'Golden Rice', with increased amounts of
beta-carotene(precursor to Vitamin A) in its endosperm, has the potential to
significantly improve the health of children and stave off blindness in
underdeveloped countries where rice is a dietary staple, yet some anti-GMO
groups oppose its cultivation as "part of a package of globalised
agriculture which is creating malnutrition". They're 'agin' it, 'cause it's
GMO, regardless of the potential benefits.

Lucky