nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear Dwarfing Rootstock

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear Dwarfing Rootstock
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 15:35:20 -0400

I've read that Quince C has not been satisfactory in tests at the Vineland Station here in the Niagara Peninsula; apparently it is less cold-hardy than Quince A. Provence Quince is reported a little more cold-hardy than Quince A but is said to grow a slightly bigger tree.

Quince rootstock is somewhat more demanding of soil drainage and soil moisture than pear rootstock if one wants good production.

For growing unprotected in commercial orchards with sometimes scant snow, Quince A has been satisfactorily cold-hardy below the Niagara Escarpment in (old) zone 7a (historic winter low at Vineland minus 16 degrees F.) but not above the escarpment in Agriculture Canada zone 6b.

It's probably a hair more cold-hardy than the classic vinifera grape cultivars, maybe a hair less than Redhaven peach.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Bob Hartman wrote:
I've budded and grafted over 40 different varieties of pear to OHXF333 without any compatibility problems but not Kieffer. There are so many other factors to take into account. Maybe someone who has grafted Kieffer onto OHXF333 can respond to that.

In response to Doreen's question about dwarfing rootstock for pear Quince C is more dwarfing than Quince A. I didn't respond earlier because I don't know if it would be cold hardy where she is located. I have many trees grafted onto Quince C but we don't have the cold problem here. See Douglas' message for information about compatibility of varieties. Also go to OSU's list http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/catalogs/pyrcult.html to see a list of varieties that are quince compatible. Look for the words "Quince Compatible" in the description of the variety.

Bob
Western Washington