nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear Dwarfing Rootstock

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear Dwarfing Rootstock
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 21:24:53 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Unfortunately, you won't go with OHxF 51 because it is not commercially
available. It's my favorite pear rootstock, albeit for a very different
climate, but OHxF 513 is the most dwarfing non-quince stock available. In my
experience, in the Southeastern U.S. subtropics, it only dwarfs about 50% of
standard, so unless you do some summer pruning, you still quickly get a 20
foot tree. With minimal care, I'm able to keep mine about 15 feet tall. Up
North, they'll probably be much slower growing.

Good luck,

Anton
Zone 8
North Carolina