nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear Dwarfing Rootstock

  • From: "Bob Hartman" <hartmansfruit@msn.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear Dwarfing Rootstock
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 12:02:58 -0700

I've budded and grafted over 40 different varieties of pear to OHXF333 without any compatibility problems but not Kieffer. There are so many other factors to take into account. Maybe someone who has grafted Kieffer onto OHXF333 can respond to that.

In response to Doreen's question about dwarfing rootstock for pear Quince C is more dwarfing than Quince A. I didn't respond earlier because I don't know if it would be cold hardy where she is located. I have many trees grafted onto Quince C but we don't have the cold problem here. See Douglas' message for information about compatibility of varieties. Also go to OSU's list http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/catalogs/pyrcult.html to see a list of varieties that are quince compatible. Look for the words "Quince Compatible" in the description of the variety.

Bob
Western Washington