nafex - Re: [NAFEX] short life in sweet cherries

  • From: "Kieran and/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] short life in sweet cherries
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 15:42:55 -0500

Melissa,
    Yes blooming young is all part of it, live fast, die young, and leave a good looking carcass that won't damage your roof when you cut it down.  By contrast I thought my own root sweet cherries would never bloom, and since there is no dwarfing effect and they certainly aren't threatening to die anytime soon, they could very well be a problem for someone to take out some day.  Judging by my sources, that may be 50 or more years from now and it won't be my problem.  Of course, I can't reach cherries, so there are drawbacks.
    At present I have given up on the early blooming sweet cherry and have moved a sprout from the Duke to a place where early spring winds won't hit it, and I have spread branches to try to keep it smallish.  I understand that ruthless pruning can keep it down fairly low.  Whether I can find the time or the resolve is another story.
    I don't know whether cherry trees will own root if their mahaleb root starts to feel poorly.  Does anyone know?  Donna