nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fireblight on Korean Giant pear

  • From: "Kieran and/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fireblight on Korean Giant pear
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 15:27:22 -0500

But Richard, You're the one who sent me Korean Giant. Or that's what I think it is. You sent 2 sets of scions, and I grafted 3 trees. Two I had labeled as Korean Giant, and one as Shinko. I happened to be paying attention to whether Asian pears were leafing out with or without a green cast, trying to figure out whether I had Henderson or Hartwell pears, and noticed that I must have done the labels wrong on the trees from you. The two trees I had labeled as Korean Giant came out differently, so I figured once I had fruit that there were 2 Shinkos and one KG. The fruit on the odd tree out was bigger with a greenish cast to the skin under the russetting that made the fruit look more bronzey. The other two trees made lighter fruit, smaller and lots more of it. They are hardly touched by the blight.
So here are my questions: Did you have a third variety of Asian pear that was susceptible to blight? Or if we're just having a bad infestation of blight this year, am I going to find that it stops on KG after some minor damage? I'm not too worried about it on some pear varieties that I know are very resistant, but some of the apples I really don't know much about as far as FB is concerned.
The UT pear releases I'm not worried about. They tested their seedlings by grafting Bartlett or Clapp's to the young trees, and infected the graft the next spring. The seedling had to stop the FB from growing any further. I understand that Magness would not have passed this test. Spalding bloomed for the first time this year so I'm curious to see what it does. It is susc in GA I have read. Personally I was looking forward to actual fruit this year, not just data. Donna