nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Non-fruiting callery pears? NOT!

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Non-fruiting callery pears? NOT!
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:01:56 -0500

Well, unless the city planted ONLY one cultivar of callery pear, no residents
anywhere in the city have any other varieties growing, and none of the
grafted trees die(or self-destruct) back to their callery seedling
rootstocks, those will most assuredly NOT be non-fruiting trees.

Interesting, Lucky. I didn't know that. Well, I'm not too happy with the city tree program, anyway - permitting only a very few trees, most non-native, for the whole city - but I won't get into that.

But am I right to be worried about pollination when everything seems to be blooming at once? Most years (well, the few years I've paid attention), I get a few things blooming early and then, slowly, other trees start to bloom. This year, it seems like everything is blooming almost at the same time. And nearly every tree is just a MASS of blossoms this spring.

My apricots did start blooming first, and I could see bees visiting the flowers. But with everything in bloom now, the bees seem to be very widely scattered.

Well, maybe I'm worrying about nothing. And there's nothing I can do about it, anyway, so I might as well just wait and see.

:-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
Physics is like sex: Sure, it may have practical results, but that is not the reason we do it. - Richard Feynman