nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Frost and fruit

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Frost and fruit
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 19:31:18 -0500

It looked like we might actually have a bumper crop this year. Even the Pluot tree bloomed completely for the first time ever!

My pluots were just a mass of blossoms, too. All three of them. (You just have one tree? Don't they need cross-pollination then?)

I'm a little worried that I haven't seen many bees around, though. (I think my leaf-cutter bees might have died over the winter, and I still haven't been able to get a population of blue orchard bees started.) It stayed cold for a long time this year, and then it suddenly warmed up a bunch - and stayed very warm.

On the bright side, I might actually get apricots this year. But pretty much every fruit tree I've got started blooming at the same time. It's really something. And the city has been planting those flowering non-fruiting pears (I think that's what they are) everywhere, and they're all blooming, too. With everything blooming at once, I'm worried that there won't be enough bees to go around. I certainly haven't seen very many.

Well, we'll see, I guess.

Then, of course, we had two nights with frost. Temps around 32 degrees.

Last year, the temperature dropped to 23 degrees here one night in early April (that was at the airport a few miles from here, so it was probably slightly warmer here). I had apricots, pluots, and plums blooming at the time.

It killed every single apricot blossom, but it didn't seem to faze the pluots or the plums at all. Of course, there might be some variation with different varieties of pluot, but I'm sure 32 degrees wouldn't bother them.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme. - Mark Twain