nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Non-fruiting callery pears? NOT!

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Non-fruiting callery pears? NOT!
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 14:26:56 -0500

Bill,
That 'Coming Plague of Pears' article I linked to was penned back in the mid
to late 1990s, and the situation has only accelerated in the intervening
12-15 yrs.

With regard to pollination problems attendant to EVERYTHING blooming at
once, I don't know - this may be a good test year to see what effect that
has - I know everything I had - apples, plums, pears, serviceberries, were
in bloom at the same time; we'll see what sort of fruit set there is.
Should be a tremendous crop of white oak acorns this fall, if the pollen
count is any indicator - they are wind-pollenated, as are the pecans, which
are just now pushing out their catkins; have not seen any on any of my young
grafted hickories or hicans, and I've not yet been able to get free to get
into the woods to look for morels or to assess the mature hickory bloom
situation, but I'm betting they're out(the catkins and the morels).

Lucky