nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Non-fruiting callery pears? NOT!

  • From: "Kieran and/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Non-fruiting callery pears? NOT!
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:19:25 -0500

"Yes, they're pretty, but the flowers stink."
FINALLY SOME ONE WHO AGREES WITH ME.

It's worse than that.  I've met several people who have developed severe bronchitis from being around large Bradford trees in bloom.  One from raking under the trees after a heavy bloom, one from standing around several hours under a huge tree in bloom.  I don't like the smell much but what I really dislike is the uniformity.  The first Bradford pear ever seen is lovely, the first 10 are amazing.  But after seeing hundreds, they become incredibly boring.  And after thousands, we've developed a pretty intense disliking.     Donna