nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Treated stakes/ locust

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Treated stakes/ locust
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 20:13:38 -0400

Red cedar is well liked for rot resistant posts in southern Ontario, but it grows slowly.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario

tanis cuff wrote:
I have many years of using & observing black-locust tree wood for in-ground use. Trunks (even when split) for posts last longer than any other wood here. But small trunks or saplings, and stake diameter branches, rot faster than you'd think a rot-resistant wood should. But the cut plants regrow so fast, you just replace the stakes. Zero toxicity as far as I know, except avoid the thorns in the growing season. If labor is a major issue, know purchased treated posts may last longer than small diameter locust.
tc, sWI, where black locust grows better than anything else